Republicans Increasingly Call For Civil War
Over the past several years, a number of prominent Republicans and right-wing commentators have called for a civil war or have used coded language like “national divorce.” This rhetoric is dangerous and anti-democratic, and it is important to be aware of it.
It is important to call out this rhetoric whenever we hear it or see it from our friends and family on social media or in person. We need to make it clear that violence is not the answer, and that we are committed to resolving our differences peacefully through the democratic process.
The examples are many, but include:
- Trump tweeted during his first impeachment, “If the Democrats are successful in removing the President from office (which they will never be), it will cause a Civil War like fracture in this Nation from which our Country will never heal.”
- Greg Gutfeld called for a new Civil War because “elections don’t work.”
- Marjorie Taylor Greene claimed on Hannity, “The last thing I ever want to see in America is a civil war … but it’s going that direction.”
- Failed Republican candidate for Senate and Vice President Sarah Palin, called for a civil war during a Newsmax interview.
- Steve Bannon declared there is no longer any coming together of right and left, and we are in a civil war.
- Ned Ryun on Jesse Watters’ Fox News show said “we are in a cold civil war with the left” as a reaction to Donald Trump’s arrest and mugshot.
- Chip Roy said if Warnock and Ossoff win Georgia: “If we have a Democratically-controlled Senate, we’re now basically at full-scale hot conflict in this country, whereas right now we’re in a cold civil war.”
- Clay Higgins made a call to arms over Trump’s indictment for stealing America’s classified documents.
- Greg Gutfeld said gender affirming care will cause Christians to engage in a civil war.
- Tucker Carlson threatened civil war if Republicans did not win in 2020.
- Tucker Carlson said any gun control legislation should result in a second civil war.
- Peter Navarro says a Second Civil War is coming because of Trump’s indictments, and says to Democrats that what they are doing “will come back to haunt you as soon as Republicans take back Trump’s America from your cold, woke hands.”
- Marjorie Taylor Greene said “We need a national divorce where we can split into red states and blue states. No, that doesn’t mean civil war. Doesn’t mean you can’t travel to different states. There would still be trade and commerce.”
- Republican State Senator Colton Moore said on Steve Bannon’s podcast he was ready to take up arms and said a civil war was coming if Trump was convicted.
- At a fundraiser for the indicted Michigan fake electors, State Rep Matt Maddock, the husband of one of them, is on audio tape saying that if the government keeps prosecuting right-wingers then someone is going to get shot or a civil war will happen.
- Newt Gingrich said we[re drifting into a civil war because of Trump’s criminal indictments.
- Conservative podcaster Tim Pool called for a civil war and an escalation of violence over Trump’s criminal indictments.
- Has-been actor Jon Voight responded to Trump’s trial date announcement by claiming only Trump can lead Republicans in Civil War 2.0.
- BlazeTV’s Steve Daece said conservatives are in a “cold civil war” and the social contract is dead.
- Podcaster Dennis Prager said we’re in a civil war because the left hates Donald Trump.
- Podcaster Steven Crowder threatened a civil war if Donald Trump got arrested.
- Conservative commentator Doug Hagmann called for violence against poll workers in the next Civil War, which he was bringing his own guns and providing body bags for his victims.
- The mother to murderer and conservative hero Kyle Rittenhouse, said lawyer Lynn Wood left Rittenhouse in jail despite having bail money to save him from Civil War and Armageddon. In reality Wood was grifting the Rittenhouses out of money.
- Actually, Lynn Wood, who was part of Trump’s failed “Kraken” team has been promoting a Civil War against liberals, independents, and non-Trump loyal Republicans quite regularly.
- Domestic terrorist and Proud Boy leader, regularly promoted by Fox News and right wing media, Enrique Tarrio, expected a Civil War before January 6th which he tried to accelerate.
- January 6th rioters were seen wearing Civil War shirts.
- Conservative thought leader Michael Knowles called for a civil war if Trump is successfully kept off ballots in states using the14th Amendment for his part in an insurrection.
- Fox host Mark Levin said fellow Republican Liz Cheney was on the wrong side of a civil war because of her disloyalty to Donald Trump.
- Fox host Trish Regan said America is “at a breaking point in terms of an emotional civil war with violence that will spill into our streets.”
- Trump ally Joe diGenova told Fox host Laura Ingraham that conservatives should buy guns and prepare for war.