Hegseth says Iran war is Trump’s ‘gift to the world’ as he berates Europe and Asia for ‘freeriding’ | The Independent

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth characterized the U.S.-Israeli bombing campaign against Iran as a “gift to the world” during a Pentagon press conference on Friday, while attacking European and Asian allies for declining to participate in the offensive military operations. Hegseth claimed the United States maintains an “ironclad blockade” on Iranian ports and accused Iran of acting as “pirates” and “terrorists” by enforcing its own blockade of the Strait of Hormuz in retaliation for the bombing campaign that began February 28.

Hegseth mocked longtime U.S. allies for what he termed “free riding,” stating that Europe and Asia have benefited from American military protection for decades while avoiding direct involvement in the current conflict. He derided recent diplomatic efforts by the United Kingdom and France, which had convened a 51-country summit announcing plans for a multinational “defensive mission” to protect merchant vessels and clear mines, calling these initiatives “a silly conference” and “not serious efforts” because they excluded offensive operations against Iranian forces.

Hegseth’s disparagement of U.S. allies aligns with President Trump’s repeated attacks on NATO as a “paper tiger” and his claims that member nations “weren’t there for us,” despite NATO’s mutual defense provision having been invoked only to defend the United States following the September 11, 2001 attacks. As Trump has threatened to destroy Iran’s infrastructure, the administration has begun considering punitive measures against allied nations that refuse to join the war effort.

Trump has publicly considered withdrawing the United States from NATO, though a 2021 law authored by Secretary of State Marco Rubio would prohibit such action. A leaked Pentagon memorandum reported by Reuters indicates the administration is exploring retaliation against Britain by “reviewing” British claims to the Falkland Islands, which Argentina also claims and whose libertarian president, Javier Milei, is a Trump ally. A spokesperson for British Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer responded by affirming that Falklanders have “overwhelmingly voted in favor of remaining a UK overseas territory” and reaffirmed Britain’s sovereignty position.

Hegseth’s remarks follow a prior Pentagon briefing in which he attacked journalists as possessing “hardened hearts,” claiming the press exhibits “relentlessly negative coverage” and “unpatriotic bias” while refusing to acknowledge what he described as the “historic and important success” of U.S. military operations in Iran.

(Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/hegseth-trump-iran-war-briefing-b2964346.html)

Trump Says Iran Has Committed ‘Serious’ Ceasefire Violation

President Donald Trump accused Iran of committing a “serious violation” of a ceasefire agreement after Iranian forces fired on two Indian vessels in the Strait of Hormuz, according to reporting by ABC News’ Jonathan Karl on Sunday. Trump stated that a peace deal would be reached “one way or another,” claiming the outcome would depend on whether Iran chose the “nice way or the hard way.”

In a Truth Social post following the call with Karl, Trump escalated his rhetoric, characterizing Iran’s actions as a “Total Violation” and threatening military strikes against Iranian infrastructure. Trump wrote that his representatives would travel to Islamabad, Pakistan for negotiations, while simultaneously warning that “if they don’t take the DEAL, the United States is going to knock out every single Power Plant, and every single Bridge, in Iran.”

Trump’s statement contradicted his earlier claim of restraint, as he declared “NO MORE MR. NICE GUY” and framed potential military action as an “Honor” that previous administrations had failed to execute. He falsely claimed the United States had already blockaded the Strait of Hormuz and stood to lose nothing economically from its closure, while Iran stood to lose “$500 Million Dollars a day.”

The Republican president characterized his proposed agreement as “very fair and reasonable” while simultaneously threatening comprehensive destruction of Iran’s power and transportation infrastructure. Trump asserted that military action against Iran was overdue, stating it “should have been done to Iran, by other Presidents, for the last 47 years.”

The ceasefire violation allegation came as Trump’s administration prepared peace negotiations with Iran, though Trump’s public threats of devastating military action directly contradicted diplomatic efforts. Trump’s statements also echoed previous rhetoric from Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth characterizing military action against Iran as justified.

(Source: https://www.mediaite.com/media/news/no-more-mr-nice-guy-trump-seethes-at-irans-total-violation-of-ceasefire/)

Trump warns he will ‘blow up’ Iran if peace deal not reached | The Independent

President Donald Trump threatened to destroy Iran’s infrastructure, stating the “whole country is going to get blown up” if the nation does not reach a peace agreement with the United States. Trump’s ultimatum comes as a two-week ceasefire expires on Wednesday and follows the collapse of peace talks in Pakistan that Vice President JD Vance led.

The core dispute centers on Iran’s nuclear program, with the U.S. demanding its complete dismantling. The United States has implemented a blockade of Iranian ports to restrict oil sales as leverage in negotiations. Trump framed his threat as a shift in approach, declaring “no more mr Nice Guy” while threatening new military strikes on Iran if a deal is not finalized.

Negotiations are expected to resume with special envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, though confusion persists regarding Vice President Vance’s role in future discussions. The escalation reflects Trump’s pattern of issuing inflammatory threats as negotiating tactics, following Pentagon briefings touting military operations against Iran as successful.

(Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/bulletin/news/iran-war-peace-deal-trump-b2960611.html)

Iran says Strait of Hormuz ‘closed again’ until US blockade lifted | The Independent

Iran declared the Strait of Hormuz closed on Saturday in response to the Trump administration’s naval blockade of Iranian ports, with the Revolutionary Guards stating the waterway would remain shut until the US military lifts its restrictions on Iranian vessels. Two Indian-flagged tankers reported coming under gunfire in the channel shortly after Iran’s announcement, escalating tensions in one of the world’s most critical shipping routes.

Iranian supreme leader Mojtaba Khamenei threatened “bitter defeats” on enemies, effectively undermining prospects for weekend peace negotiations between the nations. The threat reflects Tehran’s hardening stance as Trump administration pressure tactics intensify following the collapse of earlier diplomatic efforts in Pakistan.

Trump convened a crisis meeting to address the escalating situation in the Strait, where approximately 21 percent of global petroleum passes through daily. Iran’s Supreme National Security Council is currently evaluating new US proposals that were transmitted through Pakistani intermediaries, though the blockade remains a fundamental point of contention.

Trump publicly warned Tehran that it “can’t blackmail us,” characterizing Iran’s closure announcement as coercive rather than a legitimate response to American military aggression. The administration’s threats to eliminate Iranian vessels violating the blockade and consideration of military strikes have narrowed diplomatic pathways and intensified the crisis.

The standoff represents a significant escalation from Trump’s announcement of the blockade following failed negotiations, with both sides now locked in a direct confrontation over control of the strategic waterway and regional naval dominance.

(Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/bulletin/news/trump-iran-war-latest-strait-of-hormuz-b2960383.html)

Hegseth scolds reporters as ‘Pharisees’ in fire-and-brimstone Iran war briefing after Trump-as-Jesus furor | The Independent

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth used a Pentagon briefing on Iran operations on Thursday to attack journalists, comparing them to biblical Pharisees with “hardened hearts” who reject truth. Hegseth claimed the press exhibits “relentlessly negative coverage” and “unpatriotic” bias while refusing to acknowledge what he described as the “historic and important success” of U.S. military efforts and an emerging deal to address Iran’s nuclear program.

Hegseth’s attack centered on a Sunday church sermon about Pharisees witnessing Jesus heal a man, which he said paralleled journalists documenting military operations without recognizing their significance. He accused reporters of being “politically motivated” and “Trump hating,” stating their focus on negative coverage rather than military achievements proves they function as adversaries rather than observers of fact. Hegseth also attacked what he called “fake news” for failing to cover recruitment surges and national morale he attributed to Trump administration policies.

The defense secretary’s press conference assault on journalists reflects his ongoing hostility toward media access at the Pentagon, including attempts to restrict reporters from workspace designated for their use for decades. His tenure has been marked by repeated diatribes against the press during briefings conducted with Joint Chiefs of Staff Chair General Dan Caine, establishing a pattern of blaming journalists for insufficient support of administration military operations.

Hegseth’s invocation of religious imagery to attack the press mirrors Trump’s recent posting of AI-generated images depicting himself as Jesus, which drew backlash even from conservative allies before Trump deleted and later reposted similar content. Pope Leo XIV responded with a statement condemning those who “manipulate religion and the very name of God for their own military, economic, and political gain,” appearing to directly reference the administration’s use of religious rhetoric to justify military action.

The briefing underscores the Trump administration’s systematic attack on press freedom amid broader military escalation against Iran, with officials employing religious language and accusations of disloyalty to delegitimize journalistic scrutiny of war policy. Hegseth’s comparison of reporters to biblical antagonists represents an escalation in the administration’s framing of independent journalism as an obstacle to military objectives rather than a constitutional safeguard.

(Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/hegseth-iran-war-briefing-press-ai-photos-b2959018.html)

Trump Threatens to ‘Eliminate’ Iranian Ships Violating Blockade

President Donald Trump threatened to destroy any Iranian vessels that approach his newly imposed naval blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, posting the threat on Truth Social on Monday morning within 23 minutes of the blockade taking effect. Trump claimed Iran’s Navy had been “completely obliterated” with 158 ships destroyed, and warned that any remaining “fast attack ships” attempting to breach the blockade would be “immediately ELIMINATED” using lethal methods comparable to those deployed against suspected drug-smuggling boats from South America.

The threat followed Trump’s announcement of the blockade after Vice President JD Vance failed to negotiate a deal with Iranian leadership during weekend talks in Pakistan. Trump described the anticipated elimination as “quick and brutal,” framing the blockade as part of a broader administration strategy to disrupt Iranian activity and drug trafficking simultaneously.

Trump added an unsubstantiated claim that 98.2% of drugs entering the U.S. by ocean have been stopped under his administration’s policies, attributing this result to the aggressive enforcement methods he referenced in his warning about Iranian vessels. The post represents an escalation in Trump’s rhetoric toward Iran following the collapsed diplomatic negotiations.

Trump had previously claimed that whether or not a deal with Iran was reached made “no difference” to American interests, suggesting his administration’s approach prioritizes military confrontation over sustained diplomacy. The blockade and accompanying threats signal Trump’s intent to use force as the primary instrument of foreign policy toward Iran regardless of diplomatic outcomes.

(Source: https://www.mediaite.com/politics/trump-warns-iran-any-ships-that-attempt-to-violate-blockade-will-be-eliminated-just-like-south-american-drug-boats/)

Trump Weighs Iran Military Strikes After Pakistan Peace Talks Collapse

Trump and his advisers are evaluating military strikes against Iran following the collapse of peace negotiations in Pakistan. The White House is weighing limited bombing campaigns alongside the naval blockade of the Strait of Hormuz as pressure tactics to restart stalled diplomatic talks, according to officials briefed on the situation.

A full-scale bombing campaign remains under consideration, though officials indicated this option is less probable given Trump’s stated aversion to prolonged military conflicts and concerns about further regional destabilization. Trump is also exploring a temporary blockade arrangement that would shift long-term enforcement responsibilities to allied nations.

Trump’s aides maintain that he remains open to diplomatic resolution despite the breakdown in Pakistan negotiations. The administration is treating military action as one element of a broader coercive strategy rather than an immediate objective.

(Source: https://www.wsj.com/world/middle-east/trump-weighs-limited-strikes-on-iran-after-talks-collapse-71908883?mod=WSJ_home_mediumtopper_pos_3)

Trump Announces Blockade on Iran’s Strait That Iran Already has Blockaded

President Donald Trump announced on Fox News Sunday that the United States will impose a naval blockade on all vessels transiting the Strait of Hormuz following the collapse of 21-hour negotiations with Iran. Trump claimed Iran refused to abandon its nuclear weapons program, which he characterized as the sole obstacle to an agreement, despite asserting that Iranian military capabilities were “obliterated” and its leadership “gone.”

During the phone interview with Fox News anchor Maria Bartiromo, Trump stated the blockade would take time to implement but become “effective pretty soon.” He claimed Iran’s negotiating position relied solely on the threat of deploying mines in the strait, which he described as “extortion” against global shipping. Trump portrayed the talks as “very friendly” while insisting Iran’s refusal on nuclear weapons was disqualifying.

Trump represented the talks as led by Vice President JD Vance, advisor Steve Witkoff, and son-in-law Jared Kushner, describing the American delegation as “very, very good representatives.” He dismissed Iran’s negotiating stance by claiming its military had been effectively destroyed and its top leadership, including Supreme Leader Khamenei, was “gone,” assertions unsupported by documented fact.

The blockade announcement follows Trump’s earlier escalating threats against Iran and his demands that NATO members support his Iran war. Trump’s unilateral decision to blockade a critical international waterway represents a significant militarization of the conflict without apparent diplomatic alternatives or international coordination.

(Source: https://www.mediaite.com/media/news/were-going-to-be-blockading-trump-calls-in-to-fox-news-after-very-friendly-talks-with-iran-collapse/)

Trump Falsely Claims Military Cleared Hormuz Strait

President Donald Trump posted unsubstantiated claims on Truth Social early Saturday morning asserting that the United States military was “clearing out” the Strait of Hormuz and that oil tankers worldwide were heading to America to “load up” with petroleum. Trump framed the action as a favor to allied nations including China, Japan, South Korea, France, and Germany, claiming these countries lack “the Courage or Will” to perform such work themselves. The posts came as domestic gasoline prices remained elevated following Trump’s month-long military campaign against Iran.

Trump used the Saturday morning posts to make sweeping claims about purported Iranian military losses, stating Tehran’s navy, air force, anti-aircraft systems, radar capabilities, and missile and drone factories had been “largely obliterated.” He also boasted that Iran’s “longtime leaders are no longer with us,” referencing targeted killings during the conflict. Trump claimed Iran’s remaining naval threat was limited to 28 sea mines, asserting all 28 mine-laying vessels had been sunk.

The disinformation posts coincided with active ceasefire negotiations in Islamabad, Pakistan, where Vice President JD Vance led the American delegation and Iranian parliamentary speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf headed Iran’s team. Trump had stated Friday that the Strait of Hormuz would reopen “fairly soon, with or without” Iran’s cooperation, threatening unilateral action. Iran previously signaled negotiations would only proceed if prior agreements were honored, including a ceasefire in Lebanon and restoration of frozen assets, conditions Washington disputed.

In a separate Truth Social post, Trump stated he was “watching fertilizer prices CLOSELY” during the conflict and threatened to prevent “PRICE GOUGING from the fertilizer monopoly.” The posts illustrated Trump’s use of the platform to make unverified military and economic claims while delegating diplomatic duties to subordinates; Trump’s official schedule showed him traveling to Miami to attend UFC 327 while Vance conducted peace talks.

(Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-rant-oil-tankers-iran-b2955817.html)

Trump Claims Iran Deal Outcome Irrelevant to US

Trump claimed on April 11 that whether the United States reaches a deal with Iran makes “no difference” to American interests, stating “regardless of what happens, we win.” He characterized Iran’s military capabilities as minimal, asserting the US had “defeated them militarily,” while Vice President JD Vance led intensive negotiations in Islamabad as part of what Trump described as “very deep discussions.”

Trump’s dismissal of deal outcomes contradicts the significance typically placed on diplomatic agreements with hostile nations. His public indifference toward negotiation results, combined with claims of Iranian military weakness, frames the ongoing talks within a narrative of American dominance rather than mutual accommodation or genuine diplomacy.

The president also issued a warning to China, threatening “big problems” if the nation supplies arms to Iran. This warning accompanied his broader positioning of the Iran discussions, which Trump framed as predetermined victories for the United States regardless of diplomatic resolution.

Trump’s statements align with prior announcements of a naval blockade on the Strait of Hormuz following failed negotiations, part of a pattern of escalatory military posturing. His rhetoric de-emphasizes the value of negotiated settlements while emphasizing unilateral American strength and willingness to act militarily if diplomatic talks do not yield his preferred outcomes.

(Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/iran-trump-peace-talks-video-b2956017.html)

1 2 3 4 14